One of the saddest days in America’s history wouldn’t be complete without the talk of 9/11. It has been 17 years already and the world still remembers it till date because of the devastation it had around the world.
Osama bin Laden the perpetrator of the attack had been killed and that I think that brought relief to America.
We today have a look at some top 10 facts about 9/11.
1. The following morning, the New York Times ran a headline: “America’s Emergency Line: 9/11”. That was the first use in print of the nine-eleven name by which the attacks became known.
2. 911 is, of course, the emergency phone number in the US as well as the way Americans write the date of September 11.
3. The attacks killed 2,996 people directly. Another three have since died of causes related to smoke inhalation.
4. Eleven unborn babies also died.
5. Works by Picasso and Hockney were among the estimated $100million of art lost in the attacks.
6. It took firefighters 100 days to put out all the fires ignited by the 9/11 attacks in New York.
7. In 1978, September 11 was the date on which the last person died of smallpox.
8. The cost of cleaning up the 1.8 million tons of debris after 9/11 is estimated as $750million.
9. The phrase ‘Ground zero’, used for the site of the World Trade Centre, was originally used to refer to the site of the atomic bomb that exploded over Hiroshima in 1945.
10. September 11 is now remembered as Patriot Day in the US in memory of those killed.